I often get asked by technology professionals how they can get up to speed with the business background of planning, and what the latest trends are. So, by popular demand, a list of background reading materials just for starters.
1) "Budgeting, Planning and Forecasting to the MAX" by Simon and Bows - an excellent introduction to IT solutions for budgeting, planning and forecasting. Link
2) "Reinventing the CFO" by Jeremy Hope - puts the business case for a new way of financial planning. Link
3) FSN is a newsboard covering BI and BPM, amongst other things. Great for keeping tabs on what's happening in the market. Link
4) The IE Group is dedicated to all things planning, and organises regular events focusing on planning in different industry verticals around the world. They have a group on LinkedIn with regular updates. Link
5) The Aberdeen Group is an excellent place to keep up to date with the latest trends in all aspects of planning - financial, commercial, supply chain etc. You can sign up to receive free copies of the latest white papers or a subscription allows you to download anything from their "vaults." Link